Saturday, January 25, 2014
Wednesday January 15, 2014, shortly after midnight, Clifford Montgomery Jr. passed away at GW University Hospital in Washington DC after being hospitalized for the past week due to a medical emergency he suffered. Mr. Montgomery served in the United States Navy for 23 years and was a Life Member & Past President of the Accokeek Volunteer Fire Department located in Prince George's County, MD. Please keep the Montgomery family in your thoughts and prayers. Viewing on Thursday the 6th of February from 5-8pm, with Fireman's Prayer at 7pm. Funeral Services at Noon on Friday the 7th of February. Williams Funeral Home 4270 Hawthorne Rd Indian Head, MD ... Burial at Cheltenham at 2pm on Friday the 7th of February with the repass after at the Bryans Road Volunteer Fire Department. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Accokeek Volunteer Fire Department or the Charles County Humane Society.
Thursday, October 17, 2013
The Accokeek Volunteer Fire Department would like to congratulate Assistant Fire Chief Steven "Sams" Hainey on his recent promotion at work. Chief Hainey is a career firefighter with the Naval District of Washington Fire Department. He recently was promoted to Captain with the department. He previously was a fire technician assigned to Engine 42 at the Washington Navy Yard. His new assignment moved him to Engine 752 located at Carderock Naval Surface Warfare Center in Montgomery County. This promotion is one of many wonderful things to happen to Chief Hainey this month. Later this month Sams is planning on marrying his fiance, Brooke Sherman. The department congratulates Sams on his promotion and we know that you will lead your crew with your exemplary skills and knowledge. Job well done!
Monday, September 30, 2013
On Saturday October 28th, The Accokeek Volunteers teamed up with the Bryans Road Volunteers, for an event that will not be soon forgot about, the 210 Sportsmans Bonanza! With over 350 people in attendance, the event was a HUGE success rasing money for two Voluteer firehouse's, at this time we would like to thank EVERYONE who came out and supported the cause and donated to the volunteer departments. Please stay tuned for info on next years event, we hope to make the next one BIGGER and BETTER for everyone. The winners for your 2013 sportmans bonanza are as follows.
5pm-#178, 510pm #536, 520pm #870, 530pm #580, 540pm #077, 550pm #321, 6pm #231, 610pm #361, 620pm #280, 630pm #160, 640 #213, 650pm #028, 7pm #355, 710pm #370, 720pm #413, 730pm #014, 740pm #386, 750pm #481, 8pm #540, 810pm #689, 820pm #611, 830pm #632, 840pm #401, 850pm #296, Grand Prize 9pm # 006
Thank you again to everyone, hopefully everyone will be able to join us next year!
Monday, September 2, 2013
On Monday, a volunteer crew was staffing the station because of the federal holiday. Around mid-morning that Alexandria (Virginia) Fire Department began battling a blaze inside of a large warehouse near VanDorn Street. The fire quickly grew and crews were hampered by water main issues. As resources in the area were quickly being drained, Alexandria PSC contacted PG County for mutual aid. Engine 824, Chief 824 and Chief 824A responded with 6 volunteers and two other PG companies on the 6th alarm. The crew assisted in a support role on the scene for approximately 3 hours before being released.
Smoke column from the Beltway
Master streams operating
Friday, July 19, 2013
At approximately 2300, the Engine and Ambulance from company 24 were alerted for a serious motor vehicle accident on Indian Head Highway at Berry Road. As the units arrived on the scene they found a single car that had left the roadway and struck a utility pole. The driver was treated and transported to a local trauma center with non-life threatening injuries.
Sunday, June 16, 2013
The members of the Accokeek Volunteer Fire Department and Ladies Auxiliary would like to extend a huge congratulations to Dan and Crystal McCamley on the birth of their second child. Declan Connor McCamley was born June 16 and is a healthy 8 lbs. 4 oz. and is 20" long. Declan will be looked over by his big brother Liam who is very excited for his arrival. Dan is a Firefighter/EMT with the Accokeek VFD. Congratulations to the everyone and welcome to the Accokeek Family Declan.
Wednesday, June 12, 2013 18:00
Wednesday afternoon the Engine was returning to the station from a previous call when they were dispatched to the 17000 block of Livingston Road for a motor vehicle accident with a report of a car overturned. When the Engine arrived on the scene they found a single vehicle that was towing a trailer had left the roadway and struck a utility pole. The driver was able to self-extricate and refused medical care. The road was shut down for a period of time to allow SMECO to inspect the pole. The scene was turned over to county police and the Engine returned to quarters.
Wednesday, May 22, 2013 22:17
Wednesday night PG Communications dispatched Tower 24 as part of a box alarm for a reported house fire in the area of Loughran Road and Mace Drive. First arriving units found a two story house with heavy fire showing from the rear on all floors. Tower 24, Chief 24-A and Chief 24-B worked on the second floor opening up walls and ceilings. Once the fire was extinguished the crew began working on overhaul. Units remained on the scene for a few hours to ensure no additional hot spots remained.
Sunday, May 12, 2013 2230
Late Sunday night Company 24 was dispatched to Main Blvd. to investigate a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm activated. Chief 24 and the Engine Company responded. As crews were making there way into the basement the CO meter began to show elevated levels. Crews then applied self contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) before proceeding further into the basement. Once in the basement crews found extremely high readings of carbon monoxide. The source was found to be a faulty gas furnace. The unit was secured and the house was ventilated. Once all readings returned to normal the crew was able to pack up.
Safety Message: Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. It is produced as a by-product of combustion (ie. gas stoves, gas/oil furnaces, gas fireplaces, anything that has an exhaust pipe). If you have any items in your house or buildings that put off an exhaust you are HIGHLY ENCOURAGED to have a Carbon Monoxide Detector in your home. Remember a smoke detector and a CO detector are two VERY different things, but you need both. Smoke detectors need to be up high because smoke is light and rises. CO detectors should be down low because CO is heavy collects down low first. If you are not sure of what you need or if you need it please contact the Accokeek Volunteer Fire Department or you closest fire station. Don't wait until it is too late.
Sunday, May 12, 2013 18:00
On Sunday evening at 1800, Tower 24 was dispatched for a reported house fire on Van Buren Drive in Company 47's area. The Tower responded with 3 volunteers. Arriving units found a single story house with fire showing from room on the back of the house. As engine crews attacked the fire, Tower 24 worked on ventilating and conducting a primary search. The fire was quickly controlled and confined to a small portion of the house. Units cleared by 2030.
Accokeek Fire Department,
P.O. Box 226,Accokeek,
301-283-2730 (Line 1)
301-283-0127 (Line 2)
Site designed and maintained by